Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Doctor Dictionary

Now, I don't know if you're familiar with this, but dictionary.com the quite useful online dictionary operates a facility where it emails a word to your inbox each day.

Now, I had been planning for a while to rant about How Doctor Dictionary Thinks You Are A Idiot because I was left with the impression that it was giving me butt-obvious words:

  • jape: to jest.
  • forlorn: sad and lonely because deserted, abandoned, or lost.
  • forgo: to do without.
  • fallible: liable to make a mistake.
  • intrepid: fearless; bold.
  • chortle: to utter, or express with, a snorting, exultant laugh or chuckle.
  • cajole: to coax.
But I really had to look for those, so I'm doing the good Doctor an disservice. However, it never sends you a word you didn't know. Or if it does, you recognise it from context. Or it's a crap word, like popinjay. It's never sent a word that you've had the need to use, but just had the word available to you.

Well, yesterday, Doctor Dictionary did itself proud. Always wanted to say that something happens in the mornings? Eh? Well, all I can say is that my email arrived matutinally.

Maybe not as useful as I thought, but it struck me in the matutinal state I was in as a good word.

No, it's not going to catch on, is it?

0 blabberers have blabbed about this: